State Authorization and Complaint Process

Student Complaint Procedure in order for institutions of higher education to participate in the federal student aid programs authorized by Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965, an institution must be legally authorized to provide post-secondary educational programs within the state in which it is located. By rule promulgated by the U.S. Department of Education, part of this "state authorization" requirement is that the state must have "a process to review and appropriately act on complaints concerning the institution including enforcing applicable State laws ... . " 34 C.F.R. § 600.9(a)(1). For its part, the institution must "provide students or prospective students with contact information for filing complaints with its accreditor and with its State approval or licensing entity and any other relevant State official or agency that would appropriately handle the student's complaint." Id. at § 668.43(b).

Research College of Nursing promotes an open environment, rich in values and designed to protect the integrity of teaching and learning. In that spirit, the College believes many complaints can be resolved through open and honest dialog between the persons involved. In cases where that may not be possible, students may register a complaint by going to the Office of Student Affairs, Rm. 121 at Research College of Nursing. In the event that a complaint cannot be resolved at the College level the following information is available:

The Higher Learning Commission

230 South LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500

Chicago, Illinois 60604-1413

Phone: (800) 621-7440 / (312) 263-0456

Email The Higher Learning Commission

State of Board of Nursing

P.O. Box 656

Jefferson City, MO 65102-0656

Phone: (800) 735-2966

New regulations require Research College of Nursing to provide prospective and current students with contact information for filing complaints with the appropriate agency in the state where the student resides.

For Missouri

Missouri Department of Higher Education Complaint Resolution PDF

Complaint Process - Kansas Regents